Re: Some questions about Fedora

Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
Hi Seth,

Thanks a lot for your answers.

On 20/09/07 at 08:42 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 09:11 +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
Q1. Packages
How many "pieces of software" do you have in your distribution?
In our development distribution:
- 8232 compiled packages (binaries)
- 4638 source packages

Mmmh, If I'm a fedora user, and need a package for something that isn't
in those 8232 binary packages, what should I do? Install from sources?
Or is there some sort of organized way to look for RPMs in unofficial
repositories? (I head of rpmfind, but I'm not sure it's what I think)

http://fedoratracker.org/ served this purpose previously but I don't think it's functional anymore. Mixing third party repositories with conflicting packages or ones that replace base packages can lead to dependency issues.

Ideally, someone would step up and maintain those packages in the official repositories but Fedora does not distribute non-free software or Free software with potential patent issues.

A few of the third party repositories that do distribute such software are recently attempting to merge in http://rpmfusion.org. Hopefully between the official repository and this we will have all the packages that end users usually need.

If you want to search for individual packages, http://rpmfind.net and http://rpm.pbone.net/ but you can run into dependency issues for complex packages.

Rahul