Re: Some questions about Fedora

Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

I'll publish the answers on my blog[2], and, if this proves to raise
interest, move them to a wiki.

[1] http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=250
[2] http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/

I have seen your blog posts but to be fair, cross level distribution co-ordination occurs in informal ways often but a formal place for this has been tried and didn't succeed well except for those with specific agendas like freedesktop.org. It would be good to keep trying however.

 How do you integrate new developers? How do you
handle contributors who don't have access rights to the archive? (is
there some kind of sponsoring system?)

I am assuming, you are talking about someone wanting to put in packages without being a packager themselves. You might want to read

http://andrewprice.me.uk/weblog/entry/pybackpack-051---towel-not-included
http://andrewprice.me.uk/weblog/entry/the-person-got-sponsored

In short, we don't have a special process for this though it has been discussed a couple of times.

Q3. Developers and packages ownership
What's the relationship between developers and packages? Does each
package have an assigned developer, or can everybody modify all packages
without stepping on anyone's toes? Are packages mostly maintained by
teams, or by developers working alone?

Each package has a assigned primary package maintainer but can have many co-maintainers which we encourage

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Policy/EncourageComaintainership

We have other related policies on modifying other packages which you don't maintain, what to do when package maintainer's don't respond etc

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Policy

We also have many special interest groups where developers maintain packages together, These are listed in

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs

I published some (probably outdated now) stats at

http://rahulsundaram.livejournal.com/11669.html

Other questions:
- Did I send that mail to the right mailing list?

Yes
- Which question should I have asked? What should I ask next?

Governance models and differences between them can be interesting to know. Development policies, unique projects, upstream contributions.

- Do you think that this initiative is interesting?

Yes

- Do you think that this should move to a seperate mailing list? Would
  you participate in such a mailing list?

If you want to create a forum for ongoing discussions between distributions, I would be interested.

- Can you suggest a project that could host such a mailing list without
  annoying anyone? :)

Linux Foundation, freedesktop.org

Thank you for reading me so far -- and for answering my questions if you
did. ;) If you want me to ping you when I'll publish the answers, just
drop me a mail.

I would be interested.

Rahul