Re: [Cooker] Some questions about Mandriva

Adam Williamson wrote:
On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 10:17 -0700, Dotan Kamber wrote:
--- Adam Williamson <awilliamson@mandriva.com> wrote:

On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 17:50 +0300, Anssi Hannula wrote:

We have 22192 binary packages and 9232 source packages divided into:
main:
Where are you guys getting the 22192 number?
This number is realy not that significant. As Lucas has probably already
learned from other distros - the number of packages has weak relation to the
amount of software available and is very prone to distro policy.
Specifically openSUSE project is known for their rather not-impressing numbers
in this regard and yet they claim to have all the software you'll ever want
(and I tend to take their word for it)

He asked, so we should at least provide an accurate number.

But yes, this is highly susceptible to differing package split policies.
If you do libification (as we do), that increases your numbers. -devel
packages increase them further.

Indeed, the source package count is a much more reliable one to use when comparing across distributions.

--
Anssi Hannula