- Skyrock is famous in France for Skyblog, its very successful blog service, with more than 3.4 millions active blogs. If only a few Skyblog users start using SkyMessenger, it still means a lot of new Jabber users.
- The service seems to be pure-Jabber. Not a modified, incompatible version as in Livecom. People managed to connect using Gajim.
- The client is heavily based on Gajim and released under the GPL.
- The service is only a Beta for now, with a limited number of downloads.
- The address used by the server is skymess.com. Only port 5222 is open, with SASL enabled.
- It seems that the business plan is to provide information through the IM service, about updated skyblogs for examples.
- Server-to-server (s2s) communications are currently disabled. Some well-informed geeks seem to think that they plan to open it. It is confirmed by the add contact dialog, with proposes to add contact of type icq, msn, wanadoo, etc …
The stats were done by sending jabber:iq:version requests to online users, and 651 replies were received. It was done at 6:30 PM, french local time. Here are the results :
- GNU/Linux : 34% (226)
- Windows: 34% (223)
- MacOS : 23% (150)
- Others (AmigaOS, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, SunOS) : 1% (7)
- Unknown (Gaim doesn’t always report the sytem) : 6% (45)
- Psi : 28% (186)
- gaim : 25% (166)
- iChatAgent : 18% (121)
- Kopete : 7% (46)
- libgaim : 3% (23)
- Gajim : 3% (23)
- Pandion : 2% (18)
- Trillian : 2% (16)
- Miranda : 1% (13)
- neos : 1% (10)
- Exodus : 1% (8)
- BitlBee : 0% (6)
- Tkabber : 0% (4)
- Imendio Gossip : 0% (3)
- JAJC : 0% (2)
- webjabber.net : 0% (2)
- Gabber : 0% (1)
- Jabberwocky : 0% (1)
- Mafia : 0% (1)
- JETI : 0% (1)
The results might be biased by the facts that :
- Most of the users are quite new to Jabber
- There’s a high percentage of Mac users (and therefore iChat users) since an article was published about Jabber on a popular french Mac website. Those users are sort of parasites who only use the MSN transport.
The script to do the mass-jabber:iq:version sending is available in the XMPP4R SVN repository (data/doc/xmpp4r/examples/advanced/versionpoll.rb). The ruby script to analyze results can be sent on demand. So please run the scripts on your servers :-)