I need to reconsider my current way to do IRC.
- My main computer is a laptop, so I can’t leave my IRC client open all the time.
- More and more, I tend to ask stuff on IRC, then I have to leave, so I never get the chance to see the answer. Being able to stay connected all the time would be much easier.
- I’m currently using XChat, and would like to continue using it (ie: I’d prefer to avoid going back to irssi).
- Most of the time, I’m connected to two different networks (OFTC and Freenode).
- I tried to set up an IRC bouncer, but I had the impression that it was complex, and not very user-friendly. (Maybe I’m wrong, or maybe I should have tried a different bouncer (which one?))
- I’ve considered running two clients: XChat for my “main client”, and irssi just for logging everything. But that’s not really optimal.
Which solution are you using? Should I really go back to using irssi? Any good example irssi configs somewhere?
- Comments are now open (they were closed because of a broken WP plugin)
- I used to use screen+irssi, but then, I switched to xchat. I really like xchat, have written some custom scripts for it, and would prefer to continue to use it…
- The possible suggestions I already got are:
- use xchat with irssi_proxy
- use xchat with ctrlproxy (looks very nice, but RC buggy and not in etch)
- use xchat with shroudbnc (or psybnc, or dircproxy)
Ok, due to all the praise of the screen+irssi solution, I’ll give it another try…!